Thursday, May 5, 2011

PITTER-PATTER RAIN DROPS বৃষ্টি পরে টাপুর টুপুর

(7 May is the birthday of the Nobel Laureate  poet Rabindranath Tagore. So as a tribute to the great poet, I am posting an interpreted translation of one of his vibrant, glorious works....

Although I would love people to provide me with feedback about what you thought of the translation, please remember, it is only my own interpretation, and should not be considered as the correct or accurate (word-by-word) translation. I have tried by best to keep as much of the original imagery and their significance in the poem and weaved them into a poetical piece, as it is this aspect of the original work which which appealed and charmed me the most.

One last note: the copyright of the original poem belongs solely to the great writer himself (only), however, I hold copyright of this translation. Please do not use it as your own. Ask me for permission first, and it is very unlikely that you shall not be allowed. Thank you fr coming here and reading. Enjoy!)

PITTER-PATTER RAIN DROPS 

Day’s Light drawn into dusk

Softly setting sunbeams…
In the skies , clouds crowd
Desiring the Moon’s touch…
Clouds engulf clouds
Colors swallow colors;
Temple bells Ring –
Devoted; aloud…
Here comes the Rains
Trees are a haze;
Here comes the bejeweled…
Majestic…
Clouds.
Monsoons winds bringing back…
Memories of the childhood past;
Pitter-patter rain drops…
Flooding in my heart!

Playing games in the wide skies:
Clouds know no limits…
No countries, no boundaries –
No stopping the heart’s path…
Every New Land of Roses…
New World…
New Destinations…
New Adventure.
They remind me of the
Games of Time…
The Hide n’ Seek of Past,
With Future round the corner.
Draws me back to
To my Childhood’s World…

Pitter-Patter Rain Drops…
And my Heart is Drowned…


(for the benefit of readers, I have put the real poem here.)

 বৃষ্টি পরে টাপুর টুপুর 
দিনের আলো নিবে এল, 
সূর্যি ডোবে ডোবে, 
আকাশ ঘিরে মেঘ জুটেসে,
চাঁদের লোভে লোভে |
মেঘের উপর মেঘ করেছে
রঙের উপর রং;
মন্দিরেতে কাঁসর ঘন্টা --
বাজলো ঠং ঠং |
ও পারেতে বৃষ্টি এল, 
ঝাপসা গাছ পালা;
এ পারেতে মেঘের মাথায় 
এক'শ মানিক জ্বলা |
বাদলা হাওয়ায় মনে পরে 
ছেলেবেলের গান...
বৃষ্টি পরে টাপুর টুপুর, 
নদে এলো বান |


আকাশ জুড়ে মেঘের খেলা,
কোথায় বা সীমানা ?
দেশে দেশে খেলে বেড়ায়,
কেউ করে না মানা | 
কত নতুন ফুলের বনে 
বৃষ্টি দিয়ে যায়
পলে পলে নতুন খেলা 
কোথায় ভেবে পায়?
মেঘের খেলা দেখা কত 
খেলা মনে পরে
কত দিনের লুকুচুরি, 
কত ঘরের কনে |
তারই সঙ্গে মনে পরে 
ছেলেবেলার গান ;
বৃষ্টি পরে টাপুর টুপুর, 
নদে এলো বান |




(I have also put a recitation of the Bengali (original) poem here. hope you like it too. I do not own the images in it, and the my due respect to the copyright of the original owners. However I own the editing, so please do not use it as your own. Ask me for permission first.)



8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful poem and I enjoyed it very much. Part of the aging process is to come back to the things we found delight in as a child, so the pitter-patter rain drops and the monsoon rain are part of this delighting. I am sure you put a lot of work into this translation and think you did a commendable job. Great work! Keep writing, Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Elizabeth,

    Thank you so much for your beautiful poem and thank you very much for following me. It is very true that the beautiful memories of the past are always with us and are always returning to us as delights. Although I am very young, memories seem to constitute huge part of my life.

    I am glad that you found the translation good. Keep praying for me to be able to present you with more works of mine and translations of great poets' works.

    Thank you again. Lots of love!
    Teen Princess

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice translation. This is a nice read. That said, we human beings can be resilient. His heart will survive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear MuMuGb,

    Thank you so much for dropping by. I am glad that you enjoyed my translation. You are very correct in predicting his heart's survival. It was his 150th birthday, that too 60 years after his death. Yet we all are here appreciating his work...it is truly remarkable.

    Thank you again, and dont forget to drop by again, to see new works of mine.

    Lots of love,

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a great poem. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dawn Brazil,

    Thank you so much for stopping by and commenting.i am very glad you liked it. i will be trying to post more poems and translations soon; after my GCSE's are over. Pray for me...

    Lots of love!

    ReplyDelete